Table of Contents
Red Reporter (popularly known as RR to its users) is a sports blog focusing on the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. The blog was founded by JD Arney. Red Reporter is part of the SB Nation network of sports blogs.
Red Reporter has changed formats and URLs several times through the years. JD Arney started a Reds blog at www.redsbaseball.blogspot.com in December of 2002. It was kept up in an on again, off again fashion until January of 2004 when a proper domain was purchased (redsdaily.com), and Reds Daily was born. That site was run on the Movable Type publishing platform and was kept for about a year.
In early 2005, Tyler Blezinski (of Athletics Nation) approached Arney and asked him to join the Sports Blog Nation blog network. Arney accepted, and Red Reporter was born. It was the second site launched in the network, starting right after McCovey Chronicles. With the move to Sports Blog Nation came more frequent posting, diaries, and game threads, all of which have helped foster a community that exploded in size during the 2006 season.
Since then, SBNation has also grown exponentially. The increased exposure has given Red Reporter a wider platform and the opportunity to do stuff like interview actual Reds (from Danny Ray Herrera to Johnny Bench), use real time wire services photos and take flak for being corporate. While the site managers have turned over several times since the move to SBN and the design has become more polished, the focus on Reds fandom and rambling conversation has stayed true.
Red Reporter is powered by the SBN's proprietary content management system. In addition to the blog, registered users can post FanPosts and FanShots without moderation on the site. The FanPosts are virtually identical to the blog posts on the front page and can be promoted to the front page by the primary users. The FanPosts are considered a "blog within a blog" for the individual users. Because of the SBN system, Red Reporter combines the elements of a blog and message board with its diary system. The FanPosts cover diverse topics ranging from statistical analysis to humor, general observations on the Reds and even advertisements for offline gatherings.
How do I add photos to my comment/FanShot/FanPost?
Use the <img> html tag. Example: <img src="http://www.pictureURL.jpg"> You can also use the new image button on the comment toolbar. Try to keep things clean.
How do I add a link to my comment/FanShot/FanPost?
There are three ways to add a link to your comment or diary. The easiest way is to type out the entire URL, including the http://. The URL will automatically turn into a link. If you think that is ugly looking (it is) and would like to embed the link around some text, you can use the <a> html tag.
Example: <a href="http://www.linkURL.com">This is a link.</a> This will give you linked text like: This is a link. You can also click the new link button on the comment toolbar.
What kind of HTML can I use?
You can use '''bold text''', ''italics'', item lists, blockquotes.
Here's how:<br />
bold - <b>YOUR TEXT</b> (you can also surround a single word by asterisks(*))
italics - <i>YOUR TEXT</i>
bulleted lists - the easy way is to start each line with an asterisk (*) followed by a space. Each line that you start that way will be bulleted.
numbered lists - start each line with a number and then period and a space.
blockquotes - these allow you to set quoted text apart from your own text by indenting it. To do so, put the quoted text inside of two blockquote tags like so: <blockquote>YOUR TEXT</blockquote> and the text will be indented in a new paragraph.
How do I add videos to my comment/FanPost/Fanshot?
You shouldn't - and for comments, you can't. Youtube has an easy cut-and-paste "Embed" feature, and this has been used to post videos in the past. However this slows down page loads too much and is discouraged. Instead post the URL link to a video and allow people to view it off site. If you want to add a YouTube video to the site, use the FanShots, which are built for just that sort of thing.
Can I get banned?
Yes, if you're an argumentative cyberstalker who is offended by everything, including a dissenting opinion. You can also get banned for making a lot of irritating, ill-timed and/or repetitive posts without taking the time to become friends with the people on the site first (as is the case with most communities). You can also be banned for anything abusive and repeatedly objectionable. Let your common sense be your guide.
Is Red Reporter a clique?
PROBABLY! But, Red Reporter welcomes everyone! So, NO! That's why we've created this wiki - so everyone knows what the heck everyone else is talking about!
RR Lexicon / Running Jokes
Feel lost in a thread? Here's your roadmap
In early 2012, btcoop did Red Reporter a great service by posting a highly-rec'd clearinghouse thread for Memes
Circa 2010-present/Active jokes:
- Ross Perot wants us to "let him finish," but who gets the hashtag "lethimstart"?
- Please tell me about this landmark linguistic innovation, "awesome_____"?
- Do you have to be "drunj" to describe Arizona as delicious?
- Has Dontrelle Willis signed with anyone yet?
- Is RIWIAW Gaelic or something?
- Why aren't the Reds talking to anyone? Don't they have any money?
- Is it grammatically correct to say "Unfortunately, the pitching"?
- What did Jim Day know about that giraffe and when did he know it?
- Which posts are tl;dr?
- Is this something to keep an eye on going forward?
- Can you use an inside voice when talking about MIKE LEAKE!?!?!?
- Is every pitcher a Mike-leake type?
- When is the best time to post of pic of Jay Bruce raising his fist?
- How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
- Viva el WLB? Shouldn't that meme die?
- Do rally CAPS exist on the INTERNET?
- Who's creating all this HAVOC?
- Can we all agree that "Go Reds, they're my favorite team"?
- Who is qualified to Blow Mads?
- Who is Raven Riley?
- Why is teh Fay?
- Why is Juan Francisco called El Niño Destructor?
- Why was I flag'd, then later green'd?
- Is that racist?
- Where can I find up-to-date information on the roster, payroll, contract stuff and injuries?
- What are all of these fancy stats that everyone is throwing around?
- Who is going to die this year?
People who tell us about the Reds
We don't assume knowledge during Reds games, or absorb it via telepathy. We are told by a few announcers and newspaper writers who do their best to break the hard losses to us gently.
- Marty Brennaman, God, WLW (radio)
- Jeff Brantley, WLW (radio), food enthusiast.
- John Fay, beat writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer. Also blogs here.
- Mark Sheldon, MLB.com beat writer who blogs here
- Jamie Ramsey, Reds media relations guru. Keeps tabs on walk-up music here
- Thom Brennaman, son of God, WLW (radio and FSN)
- Jim Kelch, God's vestibule attendant (radio)
- George Grande, Bloop, sometime commentator, FSN (television)
- Chris Welsh, Successor to Bloop, FSN (televsion)
- Hal McCoy, HOF beat writer, Dayton Daily News. Now a stay-at-home reporter and regional treasure. Unsolicited Observations from the Man Cave here.
The following topics are routinely discussed with passion.
- Is Adam Dunn a good player?
- Is Wayne Krivsky a good general manager?
- The Trade
- Is there too much negativity on RR?
- How does RR feel about sabremetrics? Any Old school vs New school debates?
- Which is the second best Indiana Jones movie?
Common Reds Nicknames
They can be confusing…
- Who is Fistbands?
- Is Vottomatic for the People the best REM album in the National League?
- Will the Say Eh Kid take his talents to North Beach?
- Is Jay Hova a God or just the new Junyah?
- Is Johnny Quest really that good?
- Have Badrroyo and Goodroyo ever been photographed together?
- Is Old Hoss old enough to go bow-hunting?
- How do I know if I've contracted Type I Chapmania?
- Who has Natural Light Tower Power (LTP)?
- When is it Snacks Time? Or: will the Reds go barnstorming with the Golem this year?
- Will there finally be a shortstop to Rock Me, Amadeus?
- Is Ludwi C.K. going to be funny or just offensive?
- Should the Reds go easy on the Hi-C?
- When will Soft J learn to ground out harder?
- Does El Niño Destructor eat kids for breakfast?
- Did the Toddfather wake up this morning and get himself a spot on the roster?
- When does the Masset Hound make us sad?
- Will Lotzkar of the Hill People ever raid the majors?
- Is the King Fisher a tragic figure?
- What does it really mean when Dick Pole comes out to the mound?
- Who is the Sea Bass?
- Who is Elpidio?
- What drives The Wagon?
- Can the world contain Froppinger's scrappiness?
- Is there a cure for Cancer?
- What does Cherry Hudson have in common with The First Man?
- How do you catch the T-Virus?
- In whose head does Farney live?
- LLM? WTF?
- ¿Quién es Manos de Oro?
- Why is Juan Castro "T.S.F" Juan Castro?
- Is Love Shack more than just a song?
- Who wears Leatherpants?
- Who wears Sweaterpants?
- Did the Reds really employ Hitler?
- Why do teams fear Ross the Merciless?
- Can you ever have too much Coutlangus?
- Do the Reds have a pitcher that looks like the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers' logo?
Meet Your Fellow Reporters
- Where can I find introductions to other Red Reporters?
- Where do Red Reporters live?
- How can I join Red Reporter Fantasy Leagues?
- Is JD Arney paying attention?
- Why is Slyde the most valuable commenter?
- How much does Caleb love Vada Pinson?
- Can Paul Householder predict the future?
- Does Michael dislike Adam Dunn?
- How hot is Ash?
- Does chandrathan have multiple personalities?
- Is Daedalus a nun?
- Is it really Red Menace's fault that RR has become a haven for heavy drinkers?
- How many innings has Brian B secretly pitched out of the bullpen this year?
- What university did ohiobobcat (aka obc) attend?
- Is sukr really the last poster of the 06' season?
- Can boobs be trusted?
- Is Brendanukkah Japanese?
- Can you drink Pilsner73?
- Is Gapper the worst mascot in the Majors?
- Has teb7 been kidnapped?
- Does mattg have a brother who plays saxophone?
- How many little voices and alter egos post on RR?
- Is JCH888 jerking us around?
- Who in the hell is boohiss?
- Does MixFMKyle have a classic radio voice?
- Why is greg456 afraid of greg7? Because greg789.
- How many beers does BLee2525 owe to Red Reporters?
- Can Geki save me money on car insurance?
- Why does sidnancy always shoot down everyone's ideas?
- Where does snohio keep his secret audio stream?
- Does ken "know" Barbie?
- Is gejoe a real American Hero?
- How precocious is crolfer?
- Is indy afraid of snakes?
- What is the root of BobbyO's uncommon hatred for the Cubs?
- Has BubbaFan completely wasted her life?
- How did jmcclain19 become a payroll god?
- Why does Man Mountain hate good beer?
- Is BK really the burger king?
- What is the story behind the melancholy demise of Alan? When did Fat Vegas Alan rise back up?
- Who/what is GusBellsTaint?
- Which Cincinnati Red is terrified of having to face TheC again?
- Does TheDude abide the concept of "clutch hitting"?
- What did Andromache score on the ACT?
- In what year did Madville last make a non-inebriated comment?
- Did you know justin007000 went to Cuba?
- Why doesn't Charlie Scrabbles have a hilarious/curious meme to describe himself in the wiki?
- Just how many kids does jch24 have?
- How much does 3 Fast 3 Furious love those terrific Fast and Furious movies?
- I post all the time! Why isn't my name on here?
Archive of historical jokes and stuff
- What is a Rally Killer?
- What is a Soft Walk?
- What is a Bloop?
- What was The Trade?
- What is a Michael Diary and should I avoid it?
- Does RR offer a Dental Plan?
- Hooha? Don't you mean Hooah?
- How do I get a Utility Belt?
- How do I get Bonus Points?
- What is the official list of Annoying Little Shits?
- Who is on the Bill Hall All Stars?
- Who is on the Tomo Ohka All Stars?
- Who is on the Jimmy Haynes All Stars?
- What does Little Bo Peep have to do with the Reds?
- What is the RR all-time game thread post record, to be known from here on as "The Anaconda"?
- When is it appropriate for Caleb to BOHICA?
- What is a Veteran Presence?
- Do I get anything for posting First and Last in a game thread?
- Does it help an injury to poke it with a stick?
- Why burn DanO? Should Wayne Krivsky be burned too?
- Is it a bad thing to be a "good/great baseball guy"?
- Why do most polls include the choice 'boobs'?
- Who is Voodoo Albert? What is a Moran?
- What does it mean to Think lucky, bitches?
- What makes Red Reporters invade a site?
- Do I want to know what an ashnarronlovechild is?
- What's so good/bad about running out to your position?
- Why is Aaron Harang so often misidentified as 'Adam' Harang?
- Why did somebody just cumb in a game thread?
- Does Paul Bako really pay the Catcher Witch?
- What goes beeeeeeeeep...?
- What are the proper uses of Suck It, Duaner!?
- Do I have to drink a toast before a game?
- Why does Narron love peanut butter and Levi Garrett?
- What is Alter Ego Night?
- Arrrr…so how did RR celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2006?
- What is the onesie, why was it lucky….and where is it now?
- Was Orel Hershiser right? Can you really see it in their eyes?
- What does it mean when Jerry hearts someone?
- Who is Some Dude?
- Can you stand the HEAT, and what is the Purple Prose Index?
- What was the Royce Clayton Bat Incident?
- What was the Fiastro and what are Jerry Morron's other Greatest Hits?
- What were the 2007 predictions for the Reds from Red Reporter?
Circa 2005 and earlier